Friday, October 17, 2008

Comittment

Yesterday we received a phone call from Jessica's violin teacher, Mrs Cordero. It turns out that Jessie had missed 3 orchestra lessons and hadn't even received the music for the christmas concert yet. Her teacher was concerned she was falling behind. When Jessie came home from school I asked her what was happening. At first she said that she just forgot her violin, but I know my daughter well enough to know when there's more to it than that. She started to cry and confessed that she didn't want to play anymore. I hate it when my kids start to cry. My heart aches for them and I want to make them feel better, but this time I knew I was going to have to do something that wouldn't be popular. We have a school instrument for her. I pointed out to her that she could have prevented another student from learning violin this year because she had a school instrument. I also discussed comittment and how she had made a decision earlier in the year, had us fill out paperwork to get her instrument and now after playing for 2 years she wanted to stop. I told her no. I talked about when you start something, you need to finish it. When I was done giving her advice, I realised that it was great advice for myself too. Always finish what you begin. Lecture done!

1 comment:

ems5boys said...

Good lecture. So, we should not stop, but finish buying us the houses that we want! If only it were that simple! All joking aside, that is a very good thing to teach your children. It's too easy in this day and age for them to think it's okay to quit anything that doesn't make you happy anymore, and your word doesn't really mean anything.